IVF is procedure containing a number of stages. Each stage has to be performed with due diligence for successful fertilisation. The key stages of a standard IVF are as follow:
• Superovulation: The ovaries of the female partner are stimulated with various medication so multiple eggs may be produced. Greater the number of eggs, greater will be the chances of fertilization.
• Retrieval of Eggs: The eggs are triggered to mature through hormone injection two days prior to their retrieval. Then, they are retrieved through minor surgical procedure.
• Sperm Retrieval: Meanwhile the eggs are being retrieved, sperm is collected from the male partner.
• Fertilization: Retrieved eggs and sperm are combined in a culture medium under optimal conditions in an embryology lab for fertilization. The sperm usually fertilizes the eggs overnight. The eggs are monitored in the laboratory by an Embryologist until they develop into embryos.
• Transfer of Embryo: After the embryos are developed, the most healthiest ones are transferred to the woman’s uterus for conception. Two weeks from transfer, a blood test is taken to determine whether or not you are pregnant.